Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pandora

We've all read enough to know not to ever open Pandora's box, but what about listening to Pandora's Radio?

Wouldn't it be great to listen to a radio station that played only the songs you love, commercial-free? Well, now you can have that.

Pandora Radio (http://www.pandora.com/) gives you just that. You create an account, then give Pandora examples of some of the bands/artists/songs you like. Their database finds other songs that are similar to what you like, and they start playing them for you.

You can rate each song played with a thumbs up or down. Thumbs down, it will never be played on your station again. Thumbs up, they will keep it in rotation and look for more of the like.

Over time, Pandora becomes an expert on what music you like. They are always sliding in new songs, to see if you like them. I usually do.

If your musical taste differ according to your mood, Pandora can handle that too. Create different stations for your different moods, and adjust them accordingly. For instance, I have three stations in my account. My rock station plays Nickleback, Hinder, Matchbox 20 and the like. When I'm in blues mode, I switch to the station that plays Sonny Landreth, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Kenny Ray Shepherd. For mellow moods, I get Indigo Girls, Son Volt and KT Tunstall.

Pandora is free, advertising sponsored. The more I use it, the more I love it. You can even start off by listening to one of the stations I've created. Just search for phoenix743, and tune in.

Only the music you want to hear, commercial-free. Who could ask for more?

Pandora Radio, http://www.pandora.com/ Tune in and try it yourself!

Audrey

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I love Pandora!

Unfortunately, it's an endangered species :
http://radio.about.com/b/2007/09/02/pandora-founder-new-webcasting-royalty-rates-would-bankrupt-us.htm

It's such a unique concept, but I think they possibly been holding out for a big payoff that might disappear.

I personally believe they should focus on licensing their technology of finding similar music to other music services as opposed to pioneering a new style of web radio.

As wireless internet devices that store music become more common... integrating this technology to do it's job on the fly and on the go.. would truly seem to be it's nitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home