Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Publishing After 50?

Many of our members are well on their way to the Golden Years. Does this mean it's too late to get published? Of course not!!! You just have to be sure you aren't making mistakes that will doom you before you get started. Let an agent steer you straight...



"If you’re an older author trying to break into the publishing industry, it can be remarkably depressing to constantly hear the latest buzz about breakout novels from writers who aren’t even old enough to buy beer. The phenomenon is nothing new. Christopher Paolini wrote his bestselling novel Eragon when he was only 15. Helen Oyeyemi received a six-figure advance for The Icarus Girl at 20. And Kaavya Viswanathan’s roller coaster ride from literary “it” girl to accused plagiarist began when she was just a sophomore at Harvard University. But these are merely the modern equivalents of Mary Shelley, whose Frankenstein was published when she was 19 years old, and S.E. Hinton, whose iconic first novel, The Outsiders, hit the shelves before her 17th birthday."

Read the rest of the article here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Lisa Logan said...

Some excellent advice here! I'm not into those "golden" years yet...I'm a fair distance into that Point Where Life Begins. Still, the information here is sound regardless of age!

Thanks for posting this.

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be 65 this month of June. I am a born writer. I have several ideas for books in mind. But I can't get started on any of them. Instead, I write on a My Space column. It seems I have so many things I want to write about that I can't stick to one thing. I am a retired English teacher, so I know the basics of writing. What do you think is keeping me from actually doing a book?
Sandra

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Writing a book is very different from writing a blog or a short story or article...etc. Not everyone is meant to write a book.

If you're happy with what you're writing now, why change it? If you really want to write a book, just sit down and start writing it. All books start with the first word.

If you can't concentrate on one topic, then just sit down and write whatever comes out, until you've exhausted that idea. Save it, and open a new file. Write as much as you can on the next idea, save and close. Keep doing that until something sticks with you and demands to grow. Then you will know you've found your book topic. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home